Status: Happy Day!
Well, my status on Day 7 was, “Yawn-Tired and Hungry.” The morning totally didn’t pan out that way though. I took a ten minute or so power nap after publishing that morning’s post, and after I got up from my nap I felt like a million bucks! I was hungry so breakfast was awesome. I made eggs, and our chickens are power-layers man! Their eggs are huge! All good though—I needed it!
In the shower I noticed my thighs seemed thinner. That was nice too!
Work got off to an energetic start also, busy as soon as I walked in the door. It was a good way to start the day. Around 11:30, there were still no signs of hunger and my energy level was still high. Maybe it was the eggs, the fact that I ate something, or the fact that my husband called and said we might have someone seriously interested in buying the vehicle we just listed on Craigslist.com. Who knows! Who cares!
I felt great!
Lunch was chicken in butter. Then the same, what’s-become-my-usual, stomach pains set in again. I worked standing up for a while and it helped, a lot. I have a standing desk, but I’ve been sitting a lot lately because I’m still not feeling 100% of normal. The light-headedness and the fast heart rate, etc., has me thinking that standing for 7 hours might not be the best idea. After lunch, I stood as long as I felt comfortable, then sat for a bit. Fortunately, standing seemed to fix everything, but when I sat back down the discomfort came back pretty quickly. So, I bounced back and forth between sitting and standing. Obviously we’re not meant to sit for extended periods, but I just don’t have the energy to stand the majority of the time at this point.
In the evening, my pork dinner was great. I sort of stuffed myself on purpose because I wanted to avoid the insane crash I experienced the night before and wanted to try to feel better in general. It worked, to some extent. I was still a little groggy in the evening, but overall, I had no complaints considering I’d been up since 5 am.
This morning was great. The kids two hour delay bought me a lot of much-needed extra sleep. I didn’t really fall back asleep after the call came, but it was nice to just lay in bed and rest. I needed it so badly!
Stepping on the scale this morning, and seeing 118 was a big surprise! I literally stepped off the scale, made sure it zeroed out, then stepped back on again. It read 118 both times. The weight loss in the midst of such infrequent bowel movements is absolutely blowing my mind! I feel like I’m taking in so much. Not much is coming out. But still the scale goes down. That’s not the way I learned math, but this ‘New Math’ is awesome and baffling at the same time!
- Breakfast – Three jumbo eggs, in a lot of butter, with salt. While eating this breakfast, I felt like the plant in E.T. when it’s dying and E.T. infuses it with life again. It felt good to have an appetite!
- Lunch – Chicken in butter hit the spot.
- Dinner – Pork tenderloin in butter. I measured out a half pound but only ate a bit more than half of it. I couldn’t do any more than that without being uncomfortable.
Changes (1 negative, 10 positive):
It hit me last night that I’m tracking all of the below parameters daily to see how my carnivore diet is affecting me. But, realistically, day to day changes aren’t what I’m after.
This is a long term lifestyle—and only a few days in—one that seems much more sustainable than low carb or keto.
It didn’t hit me till last night that as my body sees it, everything is up in the air right now. My former homeostasis, as messed up as it may have been, has been completely disrupted. Everything inside me is still churning from this significant change in my eating habits. You can see from my numbers, it’s going pretty well thus far. I’m sleeping well, feel well enough, and am generally doing fine. I think now’s a good time for some grace though. My body’s in a brief moment of turmoil that will eventually pass. I don’t think now is the time to push myself with intense work outs, or other physical demands. It seems like a good time to take it easy and rest when I’m able.
I’m not having extreme ‘trough’ symptoms, I just don’t feel like my normal self.
- Sleep – 9 – Slept like a log. Also, the kids’ school district had a 2H delay this morning, so I got two extra hours of sleep. WOOOOO HOOOOOO!
- Energy – 8 – I felt so good earlier on yesterday that I wanted to make this rating a higher number, but I’ve noticed that my energy seems to be waning big time in the evenings. It could totally be due to my 5 am wake up times the past couple of days though. I’m happy that yesterday was a good day and that I woke up with lots of energy, just concerned that toward the evenings, my energy seems to fade pretty quickly.
- Mood – 8 – My groggy evenings are affecting my mood. My patience is lacking quite a bit, the past two nights especially. Hopefully tonight is different considering I got to sleep in this morning.
- Cravings – 9 – No problems at all yesterday. I’m low on calories again though. I purposely ate a big breakfast, had a really decent sized lunch, and planned on a large dinner. I couldn’t finish the dinner. My total calories for the day were around 800. I ate what I could and I honestly wasn’t comfortable eating any more. It’s rough to have the conventional wisdom of 2000 calories a day in my head. I’m eating when I’m hungry, and stopping when I’m full. For some reason, it just doesn’t seem to work out to as many calories as My Fitness Pal wants me to be getting and conventional wisdom saying I should have. I’m also concerned that such a low number of calories could be affecting my energy/mood late in the day, and considering I was sluggish and miserable last evening, that concern is still on my mind. I just don’t know how to eat more. I genuinely don’t want to.
- Vision – No noticeable changes.
- Teeth – 9 – Nice and clean, it seems like it’s going to stay this way.
- Skin – No noticeable changes.
- Hair – No noticeable changes.
- Weight – 118 lbs
- Digestion, Belly – 7 – So, I noticed yesterday evening that there’s something going on in my belly. The day before yesterday I picked up on that it seems like every afternoon I get a ‘pain’ in my top left abdomen. Calling it a ‘pain’ doesn’t seem accurate, it doesn’t really hurt, it’s just uncomfortable. Yesterday I connected that stretching helped me get rid of the discomfort and that standing, vs. sitting, seemed to be a useful tool during the day at my work desk. Then last evening I noticed the same thing a bit before bed too. It’s so strange! I don’t feel hungry, I don’t feel constipated, I don’t feel like I have an upset stomach. It’s just that my abdomen feels tense. There’s something going on in there! Something different. Something I’ve never experienced before to this extent. I’m sure it’s because of my newly adopted carnivorous diet. I’m not concerned. I don’t think there’s a need to be. I’m just curious—what’s going on!?
- Digestion, Gas – 10 – None to speak of.
- Digestion, Poop – 9 – Two tiny bowel movements yesterday and one this morning.
- Light-Headedness – 8 – Still there. I have a feeling it might take me a bit to feel really great eating a carnivore diet.
Lord thank you for two hour delays! Thank you for beautiful snowy landscapes in winter… we need something to get us through this freezing cold time of year! Lord thank you for your guidance in the midst of my carnivore experiment.
God please strengthen me, and restrain me. My heart seems to want to be brimming with energy and poise right now. But my brain tells me now is not the time. I’m ready for a breakthrough! Please give me the strength to make it through my carnivore “trough”, and the wisdom to know when it’s time to put the pedal to the metal.
In Jesus name I pray.