Status: The Word is Out!
So far I’ve been pretty quiet about my choice to eat only meat, but it all came out at work yesterday!
I took three hardboiled eggs with me to work. I have a standing desk at work, and it was a bit too high for me to comfortably stand at. A little after 1 pm a coworker of mine helped me lower all the wall hung desk panels. I did the first myself and it was heavy! Around 1:30 or so we were done and I needed a break. I went down to the kitchen and cut up an egg to enjoy while I rested for a few minutes. I chatted it up with one of the other girls in the kitchen and after finishing my egg went back to work. Later, around 3:45, I realized I still hadn’t eaten the other two eggs. I knew I needed more to eat than just the one egg I had earlier, so I went down to cut up my other two eggs. The same girl was in the kitchen again, along with three other coworkers.
I work in a medical environment, but my career is in a different industry. Discussing my personal health choices with medical folks can be a little stressful for me because I don’t have the educational background nurses, doctors, and medics have. The coworker from earlier asked if I’d had lunch that day. I cringed inside! Holding the eggs in my hand I answered, “This is it,” and briefly explained that I was eating only meat. She said something about being super healthy which was a pleasant surprise. Then followed with a comment about keto. I said, yeah, it was sort of like keto, just without the veggies. Gasp. I made it a point to specify that I was eating only meat. Nothing else. A different coworker said that’s a lot of protein and I was careful to correct my meat-only statement by adding that it was also a lot of fat. Hunger seemed to be a big concern of everyone’s, so I mentioned that one of the biggest positives was that I hadn’t been hungry at all, and that I thought eating a lot of fat was the reason why.
By the end of that exchange, it seemed like everyone around the table was paying attention to the conversation. I can only imagine what was going through everyone’s minds. Regardless, it felt good to be honest.
I just hadn’t planned on publicly announcing my decision to be carnivore yet.
The questions went from what I was eating to how I felt. I said I’d never felt this good eating any other way, that it had been going really well so far. I wanted to shout from the rooftops how I’ve been feeling. I alluded to it a bit, but didn’t go crazy. Definitely don’t want to be seen as crazy. Then came the question about duration. I explained that my original goal was 30 days, but that now I’m in it for the long haul because it’s been going so well thus far.
All in all, it felt good to talk to people about it. What’s really cool is that now that those people are aware, it sort of keeps me accountable. Even better, if it does end up working out well for me in the long run, it may inspire and help them.
And so, the stage is set. It’s okay to talk about eating only meat in public. The bandage has been ripped off!
- Breakfast – Leftover pork tenderloin.
- Lunch – Hardboiled eggs.
- Dinner – Naked chicken wings in butter.
Yesterday I woke up hungry and had a little bit of leftovers for breakfast. I took three hardboiled eggs to work because I figured I’d be hungry but I didn’t really dig in till late in the afternoon. The eggs held me over till dinner and a dozen chicken wings was more than enough to fill me up. I didn’t finish the whole dozen.
Changes (1 negative, 10 positive):
- Sleep – 8 – I slept solidly last night, just not enough. Woke up early and wasn’t able to get back to sleep. Oh well. It happens. I think my body is adjusting to the 5 am wake ups. UGH!
- Energy – 9 – Good. I’m sleepy, but already mentally pondering if today would be a good day for some sprints outside.
- Mood – 9 – Good, the norm.
- Cravings – 8 – Last night was rough. Out for pizza with the family. It smelled beyond delicious. One of the things that’s hit me since drastically cutting my intake of food types is that I enjoy the scent of food almost as much as I enjoy eating the food. Considering I had a major sweet tooth, I really enjoy sweet smells! Instead of indulging in all kinds of sweet treats, I’ve decided to give warming candle wax a try so I can enjoy the different scents without indulging in a ton of sugar. Next weekend, for my birthday, I plan on picking out a nice polish pottery wax warmer and some different scent wax tarts. I’m really looking forward to it! It’s really a shame that there’s probably no such thing as a Grotto Pizza scented wax tart!
- Vision – 9 – No noticeable changes.
- Teeth – 9 – Clean, this has become my new norm. I almost wonder why I’m brushing my teeth. They don’t seem to need it at all.
- Skin – No noticeable changes.
- Hair – No noticeable changes.
- Weight – 117
- Digestion, Belly – 9 – Feelin’ good!
- Digestion, Gas – 9 – Feelin’ good!
- Digestion, Poop – 9 – Feelin’ good!
- Light-Headedness – 9 – Still lingering. About the same as the day before. Not worse, not better.
Lord you are an awe inspiring God. Every beautiful sunset. Every great family moment. Every unexpected surprise. You’ve orchestrated it all for your glory. I see it Lord. I see the amazing work you do. Every good and perfect thing shows me your heart. I am so thankful to belong to such an awesome God. Thank you for picking up my spirit with the little surprises you place in my daily grind. Thank you for timing everything just perfectly. Thank you for making all the tiny pieces of my life’s gazillion piece puzzle come together, in perfect order, at just the right time.
Lord, please help me pray instead of worry. Please help me learn more of you and dig deeper into your word rather than concern myself with the problems of this world. Please keep me close to you and guide my steps.
I ask this in Jesus name.